The new year is a time to clear out old routines and start fresh right? A free pass to let go of bad habits and make a change. Well, dear readers, I have a weight to get off my shoulders...literally. As in, my shoulders are going to collapse under the weight of my handbag.
My organizational method is a little less than desirable sometimes. In case you have forgotten, here's a refresher: Carry a really big handbag and throw all of the scraps of paper and bits of inspiration you find into the bottom of it. Then wait until it's too heavy to carry anymore, dump it all out on the bed to sort, get frustrated, put it back in the bag and switch to a different handbag. Call it your "filing system."
And then one day you walk of out of the house and realize you're carrying this...
When I really should be hauling around one of these...
And I'm asking myself...what exactly am I hauling around that's so important??? Here's a short list of what I found...
- 1 Evening clutch
- 4 Bed Bath & Beyond coupons
- 1 spool red ribbon and 1 long piece of maroon ribbon
- 4 holiday cards
- 1 box Dayquil
- 2 Flash Drives with the only copies of important info
- 2 checkbooks
- Random photos
- Necklace, still in box and wrapping paper
- A Christmas ornament in it's box
- 9 magazines.....really, I'm a little ashamed to even admit this
- 3 DC Metro cards
- Coach wallet
- 1/2 a bag of Jelly Bellys
- Hand draw picture of a turkey from my niece (from Thanksgiving)
- 3 expired Banana Republic coupons (I probably have made 4 purchases in the last 2 months with no coupons)
- Magazine tearsheets
- Program from the Kennedy Center show I attended in December
- 1 Old Navy coupon, 1 Gap coupon, and 1 Macy's coupon...also all expired
- RISD Flyer
- Peanut butter cookie recipe
- 2 Hockey tickets
- Silent Auction catalog
- 1 pair of socks and underwear (don't ask)
- 1 bag of confetti...you never know when you'll need a party!
- Ear plugs and Eye drops...my airplane essential
- Recipe for apple baked pork chops
- 1 bark collar...for Mr. Boston Boggle
- 2 wine corks
- 1 Allen wrench
- an I-pod
- $3.37 in change
- 8 pens, 2 highlighters, 2 sharpies
- 9 receipts and 3 business cards
Bags: Yellow Hobo, Ruffle Shoulder Bag, Gray Hobo, Tan Handbag, Croc Handbag, Black Carryall
And so, my belated New Year's resolution for the year is less...just less all around. Starting with a smaller handbag to hold less stuff. Maybe one of these little beauties would solve all my problems ;)